This week, GOGLA and our partners IFC Lighting Asia/India and Ashden India Collective hosted the India Distributed Energy Forum & Expo in New Delhi.
Key takeaways from #IDEF2019
- The Indian off-grid solar market is expected to grow: A GOGLA-commissioned study found the market could grow threefold within five years (see In Focus section).
- Speakers agreed that India can become a global leader of the industry, but to grow the market
- Companies need to keep innovating to meet the fast-evolving demand of consumers and find ways to better reach rural areas;
- Government and industry should work together to create a business environment that unlocks the potential of the sector;
- The sector needs specialized financing to scale quickly.
- Solar water pumping, cooling, household and productive use appliances, local manufacturing as well as the uptake of PAYGo in India could shape the future development of the sector. At the same time, adopting and harmonizing standards and best practices e.g. in e-waste management remain crucial.
The event and GOGLA's work in India were covered in several publications in India: