Innovations in Off-Grid Solar E-Waste Management
This report presents case studies on the first round of the inaugural Global LEAP Awards Solar E-Waste Challenge, offering detailed analysis of eight projects addressing growing e-waste levels from the off-grid solar sector in sub-Saharan Africa. The publication by CLASP and GOGLA, outlines the key findings, lessons and next steps for the sector, broken down into the four key themes:
- Access to Waste: Awareness Raising & Incentivisation
- Designing Effective Take-Back & Collection Models
- Encouraging Repair & Refurbishment
- Improving the Recycling Infrastructure in African Markets
E-Waste Legislative Framework Map
GOGLA partners at GSMA CleanTech have developed an interactive tool to help companies understand the policy environment and help them set up effective e-waste management activities within specific country context. Including a significant number of off-grid markets, the map allows you to explore e-waste related policies at country and regional level, as well as latest e-waste statistics.
Global E-Waste Monitor
The global e-waste monitor publishes a periodic global report including data on the amount of e-waste generated, its value, and what proportion is effectively captured and processed.
GOGLA E-Waste / Circularity Festival
In 2019, GOGLA hosted its first e-waste festival in Nairobi, Kenya. Bringing together more than 50 stakeholders in the industry, the festival focused on sharing ideas and learnings, and included a visit to a recycling plant. The festival will resume in 2021 under the ‘Circularity’ theme.
Other useful tools and publications:
- ACE E-Waste Policy Handbook, 2019
- StEP Initiative – Partnerships between the informal and formal sector for sustainable e-waste management
- DfID Report – E-waste impacts and mitigation options in the off-grid renewable energy sector
- Global LEAP Awards – Solar e-waste market scoping report
- Efficiency for Access: Pathways to Repair in the Global Off-Grid Solar Sector
- Sofies Whitepaper – Lithium-based batteries and the off-grid solar sector
- Sofies Whitepaper – Operational guidelines for handling used batteries in the off-grid solar sector
- Efficiency for Access – Business Model Innovations for Productive Use and Cooking Appliance
- Efficiency for Access – Innovations in Off-Grid Solar E-Waste Management
- Efficiency for Access – Business Model Innovations project