This Module provides a high-level technical introduction to the recycling journey of solar components and the environmental, health & safety considerations associated to handling each of those. It also touches upon how to identify a recycler with guidance for due diligence, it includes:
- Overview to the waste components in a pico PV product and solar home system – how do e-waste recyclers view your products?
- How and where are e-waste components recycled/processed?
- What are the hazards for each component and step?
- Deciding upon your recycling and waste partners.
- What tools can I use to assess recyclers?
- What is current good practice?
The Briefing Note follows the waste journey (from products to components and fractions, and onward to recycling). It is an overview about how off-grid solar products are recycled, what are best practices for storage, handling and transport of waste, and how to identify recycling partners.