Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
Every six months, GOGLA and The World Bank Group's Lighting Global program publish the Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report, a market intelligence series on sales and impact of off-grid solar lighting products, sold by GOGLA and Lighting Global affiliates. Since H2 2018, the report also includes sales numbers of off-grid appliances, in partnership with the Efficiency for Access Coalition.
January - June 2020 Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
- The off-grid solar sector is playing an essential role in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. Solar home systems and efficient appliances are keeping the lights on in health centres, powering local businesses and helping families stay connected and informed.
- However, in the first half of 2020, global sales fell 26% compared to the same period in 2019, curbing the sector’s record-breaking growth.
- The worst affected region was South Asia, which saw a 60% drop compared to the first half of 2019. East Africa reported a dip of 11%, while sales in West and Central Africa remained relatively stable.
- Efficient appliances were also affected. Sales of fans saw the largest absolute decline while solar water pumps and refrigeration units also saw a halt in growth. Compared with the first half of 2019, TV sales were stable. Companies indicated that this may be due to customers’ demand for entertainment and information during lockdowns.
- This overall decline in sales led to an estimated 5 million people missing the opportunity to benefit from clean, safe solar electricity in their homes and businesses.
- Yet, the industry has met this year’s challenges with resilience and innovation and its development partners have united behind relief efforts. Governments have recognised the ‘essential role’ the industry plays in providing energy access, while investors remain optimistic about its impact and potential.
- With the right regulatory and financial support, the off-grid solar sector can quickly regain the momentum seen in 2019 and play a vital role in the post pandemic recovery - unlocking economic activity, generating green jobs and boosting resilience for millions of people around the world.
- Would you like to find out more? Watch the recording of our webinar to hear more about the data from the content team.
- Download previous sales and impact data reports: H2 2019 | H1 2019 | H2 2018 | H1 2018 | H2 2017 | H1 2017 | H2 2016 | H1 2016 | H2 2015.
- Participating companies can access the online data platform at data.gogla.org.