Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
Every six months, GOGLA and The World Bank Group's Lighting Global program publish the Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report, a market intelligence series on sales and impact of off-grid solar lighting products, sold by GOGLA and Lighting Global affiliates. Since H2 2018, the report also includes sales numbers of off-grid appliances, in partnership with the Efficiency for Access Coalition.
January - June 2021 Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
- The off-grid solar industry has shown tremendous resilience throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, however, the path to recovery is uneven and there are varying trends among regions and markets. Following consumers’ reduced spending capacity and severe disruptions in global supply chains, the industry is not yet back on a solid growth trajectory.
- Data from January – June 20201 reveals that off-grid solar lighting sales decreased moderately by 4% compared to the second half of 2020, totaling 3.5 million products sold.
- Aggregated sales of key off-grid appropriate appliances (TVs, fans, refrigeration units, and solar water pumps) shrank by 10% compared to the second half of 2020 with 421,000 units sold.
- Despite off-grid solar solutions providing the fastest and most affordable way to electrify hundreds of millions of people, across the last 18 months, a drop in sales due to the impacts of COVID-19, resulted in an estimated 12 to 23 million people missing out on improved energy access.
- With a myriad of factors affecting sales in different ways across regions and countries exploring the data beyond the headline figures is more necessary than ever to understand the market.
- The crisis has dealt a blow to companies in the sector, but it has also shown their capacity to adapt and endure a protracted and complex crisis in a relatively young industry. To a large extent, this resilience has been powered by the ingenuity of entrepreneurs and their teams, but it has also depended on the economic environment and the availability of support from key stakeholders.
- Governments have a key role to play in providing an economic environment that will enable citizens’ access to clean energy and efficient appliances. Continuing support from development partners and investors will be crucial to not only safeguard but expand development gains linked to access to energy. We call on all partners to recognize the tremendous gains in energy access and beyond that, the sector has already enabled and to work with us to protect and enhance its social and environmental impact.
- Missed the launch webinar for the latest Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report? You can watch the recording here and download the presentation here.
- Download previous sales and impact data reports: H2 2020 | H1 2020 | H2 2019 | H1 2019 | H2 2018 | H1 2018 | H2 2017 | H1 2017 | H2 2016 | H1 2016 | H2 2015.
- Participating companies can access the online data platform at data.gogla.org.
- Find a comprehensive overview of the methodology applied by GOGLA and partners to collect, process and analyse the sales and impact data shared here.