Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
Every six months, GOGLA, The World Bank Group's Lighting Global program and the Efficiency for Access Coalition publish the Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report, a market intelligence series on sales and impact of off-grid solar lighting products and appliances, sold by GOGLA affiliates.
July - December 2021 Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
- In the second half of 2021, the off-grid solar industry continued its recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. Although this has overall been slower than originally hoped, some segments of the market are now back on an overall upwards trajectory. Underneath these general trends, however, remain large disparities between individual markets.
- Data from July – December 20201 reveals that affiliates sold close to 4 million lighting products. This is the first time in two years that global sales volumes are close to pre-COVID levels. However, there are vast disparities between markets and companies.
- Aggregated sales of key off-grid appropriate appliances (TVs, fans, refrigeration units, and solar water pumps) decreased by 20% compared to the first half of 2021 with 338,000 units sold.
- PAYGo sales reach a new high of over 1.5 million units sold by affiliates between July and December 2021. A main contribution to this growth is a shift towards more sales of PAYGo solar lanterns.
- With a myriad of factors affecting sales in different ways across regions and countries exploring the data beyond the headline figures is more necessary than ever to understand the market.
- Despite off-grid solar solutions providing the fastest and most affordable way to electrify hundreds of millions of people, the reversal in the growth of the off-grid solar market has led to an estimated 8 million additional people missing out on improved energy access in the last six months alone.
- Since 2010, 380 million people have benefited from improved access to energy through off-grid lighting products and 90 million metric tons of CO2e have been avoided - the equivalent of taking 24 coal plants offline for a year.
- Missed the webinar for the latest Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report? You can watch the recording here and download the presentation here.
- Download previous sales and impact data reports: H1 2021 | H2 2020 | H1 2020 | H2 2019 | H1 2019 | H2 2018 | H1 2018 | H2 2017 | H1 2017 | H2 2016 | H1 2016 | H2 2015.
- Participating companies can access the online data platform at data.gogla.org.
- Find a comprehensive overview of the methodology applied by GOGLA and partners to collect, process and analyse the sales and impact data shared here.