Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
Every six months, GOGLA, The World Bank Group's Lighting Global program and the Efficiency for Access Coalition publish the Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report, a market intelligence series on sales and impact of off-grid solar lighting products and appliances, sold by GOGLA affiliates.
January - June 2022 Global Off-Grid Solar Market Report
- Sales volumes reported in the first half of 2022 have grown 9% compared to the second half of 2021 and are almost on par with sales reported in the last semester before the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 4.33 million solar energy kits were sold by Affiliates between January and June 2022. While global volumes have been recovering, markets and companies have fared very differently over the past two years.
- Sales of solar home systems (SHS) decreased by 3% compared to the previous reporting round while lantern sales grew by 11% and multi-light system sales grew by 12%.
- Global sales of key appliances (TVs, fans, refrigeration units and solar water pumps) have recorded a 164% increase compared to the second half of 2021. This jump in sales is tied to a sharp increase in fans sales reported in South Asia and is due to both increased participation of companies in the data collection, and actual growth reported by companies.
- Since 2010, cumulatively, 401 million people have benefited from improved access to energy through off-grid solar energy kits reported by GOGLA affiliates, and 20 million from improved access to appliances since 2018.
- 94 million metric tons of CO2e have been avoided by affiliates’ solar energy kit sales since 2010 and emissions avoided through the use of high-performing TVs and fans since July 2018 reach close to 29,000 metric tons.
- For the first time, this report also includes impact metrics for refrigeration units and solar water pumps as well as new impact metrics for fans and TVs.
- Download previous sales and impact data reports:H2 2021 | H1 2021 | H2 2020 | H1 2020 | H2 2019 | H1 2019 | H2 2018 | H1 2018 | H2 2017 | H1 2017 | H2 2016 | H1 2016 | H2 2015.
- Participating companies can access the online data platform at data.gogla.org.
- Find a comprehensive overview of the methodology applied by GOGLA and partners to collect, process and analyse the sales and impact data shared here.